Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thrifterstitious


 
I think I'm thrifterstitious.

Somewhere along the line I've developed a little nonsensical ritual of following the Exact Same Route Every Single Time through the thrift stores I frequent and it has nothing to do with efficiency.

Here's the thrifterstitious part -- because if I change my route through the store, it will somehow affect the outcome of my shopping. I'm just sayin'...

You never know. 

And good thing I stuck to my route because all kinds of vintage treasure turned up.

Like this vintage Hendryx birdcage. This may be the thing that sends me back to selling on eBay if I can even remember how to do that, it's been so long.

Pretty little vintage embroidered flower baskets that will get transformed into lavender sachets in the Doily Factory.

A sweet vintage embroidered tablecloth in yellow & blue, also destined to become sachets.

Wave after wave of delicate, detailed vintage crochet which, as my mother used to say, I need like 'a hole in the head.' (I know!)

This terrific vintage feedsack quilt top -- all hand-stitched by a very industrious vintage crafter. 

There are so many fun prints on the quilt top that I made my own little quilt with them. A digital quilt, I mean. That still counts, right?

And my favorite piece of all -- just 10 cents. 

Hopefully these fabrics will make it through all steps of the De-Dirtification process and come out clean & damage-free. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed.




22 comments:

  1. oh I totally think you need to get a pretty little songbird for that birdcage and hang it in your craft room for inspiration and "whistling while you work" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm in awe! what wonderful goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know that there is a name for what I do. Thrifterstitous. I do the same thing in the antique stores that I go to also!
    How could you ever get rid of that sweet birdcage? You need one of those pretty blue parakeets in there! And that quilt top? Let's just say that it's so fabulous that I wouldn't dare show it to my sister the quilter. She would fall over in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some thrift store! Wow! Love, love that birdcage. I have a vintage Hendryx cage - but this one is so fabulous looking - very deco.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same route in thrift stores too.... Iamgine my HORROR when I walked into one of my regular haunts last month and they had
    re-arranged Everything! It threw me completely off. My Mom would really go for that hankie. I want the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many pretty things! I love the embroidery work on the linens! My favorite things! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure did find some lovely treasures, I am not sure what is my favorite. I am in Utah right now a doing a little treasure hunting. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack Pot!! Great finds...I would have bought them all too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did good. Realllll good!! Love that lace and the quilt top. Actually, you really cleaned up on this go-round. What fun stuff. Don't you love to just pile it up and sit back and look at it?? yeah. me too.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I'm not the only one...thank you for giving it a name. The bird cage is absolutely wonderful. I could never let that go!! Great finds all around.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing! Hubby laughs at me and tells me if i change my route I will maybe see something I hadn't before, but I leave that up to him! LOL

    Love the birdcage, but the quilt top has to be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the BIRD CAGE...it is TWEET! I totally am Thrifterstitous too...the same ROUTE every time. My friends and my mom are used to this quirk and just let me lead the way. Quirky, but I need all the luck I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hooray for fun posts with made-up words. just my style!

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found all that at the same thrift store! Holy west coast! I still sell on eBay from time to time, it's actually gotten much easier to list. More expensive fees though. Right now they are having free listing fees for auctions. I'm just sayin'. xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  15. My thrifting route lately seems to consist of bolting to the door to get out. Had I found anything remotely close to what you found, though, I'd be thrifterspicious (or whatever that word is!) too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thriftstitious? Absolutely. I walk through each store the same way every time. I visit the shops on certain days. I drive the same route.

    I heard recently that Michael Jordan created the baggy basketball shorts fashion because the whole time, he was wearing his college shorts underneath his pro jersey for luck.

    You were obviously wearing those North Carolina shorty-shorts when you found that birdcage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love looking at your beautiful finds! Isn't it fun, never knowing what fabulous things you will come home with?? :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great finds! The ten-cent hankie is awesome! And I am in love with that bird cage!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word, you hit the mother-load today! The quilt is amazing! Loving the hankie too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOWSER! Wandered over to check out your studio but on the way to that, I saw THAT BIRDCAGE - oh my whiskers!!!!! And the lace?! Oh dear, quick hide that stuff so "she" doesn't see it or "she'll" be knocking on your door. Cancel that - "she'll" be knocking your door DOWN! MOL Great finds!!!!

    Purrs and head bonkers!

    Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recommend you stick to your thrifterstitious ways. With that haul, how can you not?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all vintage linens, i make bags and purses with a mixture of embroidered cloths and soft worn denim.

    ReplyDelete

I love this part! Thanks for your comment.